About the Book:
An indispensable addition to your project management, software engineering or computer science bookshelf, this book masterfully illuminates and simplifies otherwise complex topics in ROI. It presents extremely simple, but overwhelmingly powerful metrics, models, and methods for designing professional business cases and provides hard-hitting economic justification. It explores the most popular international methods, models, and standards for software process improvement. The author’s practical tutorial on the costs, benefits, and ROI of software process improvement is a soup-to-nuts guide that helps readers rapidly master powerful concepts. He demystifies esoteric concepts in ROI and provides a self-contained tutorial of ROI methods for novices as well as economic experts and a treasure-trove of value adding economic data, which is missing from popular texts.
- Establishes a foundation, framework, and standard for determining the costs and benefits of SPI and for measuring its ROI.
- Provides penetrating cost metrics, models, and methods which are usually very proprietary and helps users learn, understand, and master them.
- Includes a self-contained tutorial of ROI methods for novices as well as economic experts.
- Presents the only broad-ranging economic analysis of major international SPI methods and the first large-scale economic analysis of mandatory U.S. government standards.
- Covers quantitative analysis of international SPI methods that are only qualitatively understood and includes a treasure-trove of value-adding economic data missing from other popular texts.
- Includes over 100 tables and illustrations to facilitate learning and instruction.
WAV Offers free downloadable detailed SPI ROI models for SW-CMM®, ISO 9001:2000, and CMMI® and spreadsheets with metrics and models for costs, benefits, benefit/cost ratio, net present value, return on investment and breakeven point: Click Here to Get Free ROI Spreadsheet Models from the Web Added Value™ Download Resource Center.
- ROI Article: The ROI Article is an executive overview of the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It contains a short ROI tutorial, it explains 20 new metrics and models for computing costs, benefits, and ROI, and it serves as a six-step procedure for estimating the ROI of Inspections, PSPsm, TSPsm, SW-CMM®, ISO 9001, and CMMI®.
- ROI Spreadsheet Model (high-level): The ROI Model High-Level is a companion to the ROI article, Practical Metrics for Return on Investment. It is an extremely powerful spreadsheet for estimating the ROI of Inspections, PSPsm, TSPsm, SW-CMM®, ISO 9001, and CMMI®.
- ROI Spreadsheet Model (detailed): The ROI Model Detailed is a companion to the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It is a comprehensive spreadsheet and data source for estimating the ROI of Inspections, PSPsm, TSPsm, SW-CMM®, ISO 9001, and CMMI®.
- SW-CMM Cost Model: The SW-CMM® Cost Model is a companion to the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It is a commonsense cost model for SW-CMM®, which provides a rare glimpse into the economics of SW-CMM® for performing strategic planning of SW-CMM® initiatives.
- CMMI Cost Model: The CMMI® Cost Model is a companion to the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It is the first cost model ever created for the CMMI® or SW-CMM® community, since the debut of CMMI®, and provides an unprecedented glimpse into the economics of CMMI®.
- ISO 9001 Cost Model: The ISO 9001 Cost Model is a companion to the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It’s a bottom up budgeting spreadsheet for accurately estimating the costs of implementing ISO 9001, and quantitatively mirrors the architecture of ISO 9001:2000.
ROI IDEF0 Methodology:
The ROI IDEF0 Methodology is a companion to the book, ROI of Software Process Improvement: Practical Metrics for Project Managers and Software Engineers. It’s a 365-page interconnected enterprise architecture for rapidly, easily, and authoritatively estimating the Return on Investment (ROI) of Inspections, PSPsm, TSPsm, SW-CMM®, ISO 9001, and CMMI®: Click Here to Purchase the ROI IDEF0 Methodology in KBSI's AI0 Win® Format.
- The ROI IDEF0 Methodology is a watershed download in both PDF® and AI0 Win® formats for large corporations and large nonprofit organizations, which spend millions of dollars on SPI annually.
- It’s extremely useful for small to medium sized high technology firms, so they can optimize the value of their investments in SPI, and effectively compete with large blue chip firms, without having to spend millions of dollars on SPI.
- And, it’s the perfect tool for the academic community, to help scientists conduct state-of-the-art research in ROI, SPI, and software metrics, and deliver just-in-time learning modules.
- More importantly, the ROI IDEF0 Methodology saves the high technology community thousands of hours.
- It establishes a highly extensible and adaptable framework, foundation, and blueprint for creating enterprise policies and procedures for ROI and just-in-time training and institutional education programs in ROI.
- It is the perfect specification for successfully creating robust automated ROI estimation tools for the ever expanding commercial shrink wrapped software market. (IDEF0 is the premier methodology for business process reengineering, SPI, and software process modeling.)
About the Author:
Dr. David F. Rico, PMP, CSM, is a software process improvement consultant specializing in cost, benefit, and return-on-investment analysis. Dr. Rico holds a B.S. in Computer Science, an M.S.A. in Software Engineering, a Doctoral Degree in Information Technology, and is a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) and a Certified Scrum Master (CSM). Dr. Rico has been in the field of computer programming since 1983. Dr. Rico has been an international keynote speaker, published numerous articles in major computer science journals on three continents, and has authored or contributed to five textbooks. Some of his noteworthy accomplishments include designing software for NASA's $20 billion space station, spearheading SW-CMM® and ISO 9001 initiatives for Fujitsu in Tokyo, modernizing a family of U.S. Air Force static radar ranges, reengineering 36 military logistics depots in Cairo, designing a $30 billion constellation of U.S. Air Force satellites, conducting a $42 million U.S. Navy source selection, designing a $70 million cost model for U.S. Navy aircraft, and participating in over 15 SW-CMM® initiatives. Click Here to Visit the Author’s ROI Website
Table of Contents:
1.1 What Is ROI of SPI?
1.2 Why Is ROI of SPI Important?
1.3 How Is ROI of SPI Determined?
1.4 What Are Key Methods for ROI of SPI?
1.5 What Are Key Principles of ROI of SPI?
1.6 What Are Pitfalls of ROI of SPI?
1.7 Who Cares About ROI of SPI?
2. Software Process Improvement
2.1 What Is SPI?
2.2 Why Is SPI Important?
2.3 How Is SPI Determined?
2.4 What Are Key Methods for SPI?
2.5 What Are Key Principles of SPI?
2.6 What Are Pitfalls of SPI?
2.7 Who Cares About SPI?
3. Methods for Software Process Improvement
3.1 Software Inspection Process
3.2 Personal Software Processsm
3.3 Team Software Processsm
3.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
3.5 ISO 9001
3.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
4. Methods for Return on Investment Analysis
4.3 Benefit/Cost Ratio
4.4 Return on Investment
4.5 Net Present Value
4.6 Breakeven Point
5. Methods for Benefit Analysis
5.2 Defect Density
5.4 Defect Removal Efficiency
5.5 Defect Removal Model
5.6 Software Effort
5.7 Total Life Cycle Cost
6. Methods for Cost Analysis
6.1 Software Inspection Process
6.2 Personal Software Processsm
6.3 Team Software Processsm
6.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
6.5 ISO 9001
6.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
7. Software Inspection Process ROI Methodology
7.1 Inspection Cost Methodology
7.2 Inspection Benefit Methodology
7.3 Inspection B/CR Methodology
7.4 Inspection ROI% Methodology
7.5 Inspection NPV Methodology
7.6 Inspection Breakeven Point Methodology
8. Personal Software Processsm ROI Methodology
8.1 PSPsm Cost Methodology
8.2 PSPsm Benefit Methodology
8.3 PSPsm B/CR Methodology
8.4 PSPsm ROI% Methodology
8.5 PSPsm NPV Methodology
8.6 PSPsm Breakeven Point Methodology
9. Team Software Processsm ROI Methodology
9.1 TSPsm Cost Methodology
9.2 TSPsm Benefit Methodology
9.3 TSPsm B/CR Methodology
9.4 TSPsm ROI% Methodology
9.5 TSPsm NPV Methodology
9.6 TSPsm Breakeven Point Methodology
10. Software Capability Maturity Model® ROI Methodology
10.1 SW-CMM® Cost Methodology
10.2 SW-CMM® Benefit Methodology
10.3 SW-CMM® B/CR Methodology
10.4 SW-CMM® ROI% Methodology
10.5 SW-CMM® NPV Methodology
10.6 SW-CMM® Breakeven Point Methodology
11. ISO 9001 ROI Methodology
11.1 ISO 9001 Cost Methodology
11.2 ISO 9001 Benefit Methodology
11.3 ISO 9001 B/CR Methodology
11.4 ISO 9001 ROI% Methodology
11.5 ISO 9001 NPV Methodology
11.6 ISO 9001 Breakeven Point Methodology
12. Capability Maturity Model Integration® ROI Methodology
12.1 CMMI® Cost Methodology
12.2 CMMI® Benefit Methodology
12.3 CMMI® B/CR Methodology
12.4 CMMI® ROI% Methodology
12.5 CMMI® NPV Methodology
12.6 CMMI® Breakeven Point Methodology
13.1 Software Inspection Process
13.2 Personal Software Processsm
13.3 Team Software Processsm
13.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
13.5 ISO 9001
13.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
14.1 Software Inspection Process
14.2 Personal Software Process
14.3 Team Software Process
14.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
14.5 ISO 9001
14.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
15. Benefit/Cost Ratio
15.1 Software Inspection Process
15.2 Personal Software Processsm
15.3 Team Software Processsm
15.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
15.5 ISO 9001
15.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
16. Return on Investment
16.1 Software Inspection Process
16.2 Personal Software Processsm
16.3 Team Software Processsm
16.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
16.5 ISO 9001
16.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
17. Net Present Value
17.1 Software Inspection Process
17.2 Personal Software Processsm
17.3 Team Software Processsm
17.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
17.5 ISO 9001
17.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
18. Breakeven Point
18.1 Software Inspection Process
18.2 Personal Software Processsm
18.3 Team Software Processsm
18.4 Software Capability Maturity Model®
18.5 ISO 9001
18.6 Capability Maturity Model Integration®
19. Analysis of Return on Investment
19.1 Analysis of Costs
19.2 Analysis of Benefits
19.3 Analysis of Benefit/Cost Ratio
19.4 Analysis of Return on Investment
19.5 Analysis of Net Present Value
19.6 Analysis of Breakeven Point
20. Optimizing Return on Investment
20.1 Low Costs
20.2 High Benefits
20.3 Good Benefit/Cost Ratio
20.4 High Return on Investment
20.5 High Net Present Value
20.6 Near Breakeven Point
21. Future of Software Process Improvement
21.1 Trainingless Methods
21.2 Automated Workflow Methods
21.3 Low-Cost Commercial Tools
21.4 Non-invasive Measurement
21.5 Expert System Workflow Tools
21.6 Self-Documenting Approaches
21.7 Boundaryless Virtual Teams
sm Personal Software Process, PSP, Team Software Process, and TSP are service marks of Carnegie Mellon University.
® Software Capability Maturity Model, SW-CMM, Capability Maturity Model Integration, and CMMI are registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office by Carnegie Mellon University.